Sunday, October 20, 2013

Working on project # 1

Well, jetlag is kicking my ass. I slept all day Sunday, and so I decided to stay awake Sunday night, and then wait till Monday night to go to sleep. Ugh. So I watched a couple of movies, read a little... then for the last four hours have been editing "Gravity is a Simple Messenger". My goal is to get this book submitted and the request a proof by 1 November. I hope that I can release it by Thanksgiving... My second goal is to get Plowman published in December... I have a feeling Plowman will be my first successful book, perhaps and hopefully it will take off like "The Shack". It isn't long, but such a powerful story that battles against death while offering hope for those afflicted by suffering. The nice thing is while one proof is ordering and en route, I can beat down the doors for the second. Meanwhile, "The Dialogues of Kam" is also important, especially since a vision I had in Iraq showed the front cover and wild success. Perhaps that will be the one picked up by an a publisher.

 Ugh... I feel the weight of time right now... a whole YEAR... I can't even think about it!



I was re-intrigued by my following poem...
Kind of sad, but a true warning to remember our humanity...
Joe Stack... learn from him but never be like him... 

Joe Stack... wikipedia entry

Joe Stack's Manifesto



"I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different.  I am finally ready to stop this insanity.  Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let’s try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well."



Meet Joe Stack

Joe, Joe
What did you go and do?
Torching your house
You jumped in a plane
And acting insane
Suicide bombed the IRS man.

They said the building shook
The gasoline tank was full
There was a big fire
The sky was filled with smoke.

The Newsman said you were crazy
You didn’t make sense.
In this postmodern age
You blogged about your suicide
You left a long and rambling note.

So I opened the PDF file,
Thinking: “he must be crazy”
And read it to myself.

As I read, it seemed to me you
You were pretty much a regular guy
Who was just was really pissed off
Got to the end of his rope and then went nuts.
Sounds like you had dreams and just wanted to work
But numbers and taxes weren’t your style
So you kept getting screwed
Chomped by bureaucratic crocodiles.
It seemed like the more you flailed
The bigger the snowball grew.

I’m sorry everything went so wrong
That you made a lot of mistakes.
A lot of it was just your flawed perspective
But
I’m sorry the Flatland Grid with numbered streets
And metallic rules beat you up-
Sounds like when you needed support
You went to churches and you met some hypocrites.
Actually, if you hadn’t blown up a building
I might have said:
Buddy, you need to chill out
Go out and get a cup of coffee
Because you’ve gotten worked up
You’ve lost perspective-
Other people have rough luck sometimes too.
I’m not good with numbers
I don’t understand a lot about the IRS
My life hasn’t always turned out right-
I might say I partly empathize
That I could partly understand.
But dude, you can’t wipe out a building
In a mini 9-11!!
If you’re that badly in trouble
Call 911!
Go buy “IRS for Dummies”
Become a park ranger
Something less stressful!
Don’t nuke some other desperate fella
Hating his cubicle life as an IRS agent
Staring at the numbers on his screen
Panting with the rest of us spinning our hamster wheels
Because you kept failing at life
Never asked the right folks for help.
Joe, the reality is:
Somewhere, some other family,
Maybe some kids are mourning their dad
The owner of the other burned body found beside yours.
I agree the world is jacked up
The system is really flawed-
But, your solution is not the answer.
Your life sucked so you said F--- it,
You murdered some folks
Hurt others and added to the confusion.

So, these imperfect lines are NOT in memory of
Joe Stack
A guy who struggled at life,
Failed and committed murder and suicide.
I would like to say that the problem was much larger than Joe
And as small (but huge) as you and I.

Every morning,
When we walk out that door
We all have a choice on how to live.
Some of us are awesome
A lot of us are average
And some of us suck.
We all have abilities, and while some get ahead
A lot of us just survive and pretend we’re alright.
The world works for the organized
For those who follow the directions
While a lot of us struggle in circles
And look forward to falling asleep at night.
Regardless, we can’t throw in the towel
And we definitely shouldn’t punish others for our mistakes.
Responsibility should be our watchword,
Humility and perseverance the measure of our gait.

Yet, I will call it
Yes, most of you, I call you out!
Most of you are pretending
You just don’t let it out.
We wouldn’t get in a plane
Or a suicide car
Not anything-
We'd probably just grit our teeth and take it
And try learn from just another mistake.
Yet, most of us are fakers-
We all have cracks
But we hide those seams!

So, to all of us who pretend this life is all that matters
That we will hit “re-do” someday
All of us who stand quietly in elevators
Nod, say hello
And reply, “Oh, I’m doing great!”

People!
Please be mindful.
This is a very short life.
Sooner than we think, we will all be dead and rotting in the ground.
Show some respect.
Karma always comes around
Be kind to losers instead of smirking.
Show kindness to the f---ups
But don’t you baby them.
Because life just doesn’t “happen”
And Joe, you made your own life, one choice at a time.
But likewise,
While Joe made his life reacting
Together, our united actions create the world he lived in.
We CREATE THIS WORLD.
We balanced this implacable house of cards society.
By "WE" I don't mean some vague humanity
Found in philosophy books or referenced in poetry-
But you
You,
And You,
Facebook Friend, yes YOU!
In our everyday actions this world is created,
We create it as a quanta over a continuum
Tiny small actions times ten thousands over every minute of our life!
You and I, Joe and others,
We make "Joe Stacks".

So, to end this monolithic rant on a positive note,
I attempt to gleam something from a negative event:
It sounds kind of like a hippie love song
But I swear as a vet I feel this to be true-
It is very simple but very important.
Love God, and love others as you would be loved.
Visit the sick and the prisoners
Listen to your child talking
Feed the hungry
Let the geese cross the road and don't get mad
Give drink to the thirsty
Hold the door open for the next guy behind you
Leave your change in the soda machine
Don’t cut folks off in traffic
Be merciful when you could be cruel.

You never know,
One of those folks might be Joe Stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment