Friday, October 25, 2013

Searching for Katsumoto

Everyone needs a teacher. A mentor. A older brother. I've never found one. When I have, its guaranteed not to last a very long time. That's all I've ever really wanted. To walk beside Katsumoto and learn.



When I watched the last Walking Dead episode, I came to a realization about the leader Rick. He was pretty disappointing as a leader in the first seasons. All of a sudden, in the last one, he really has been doing a good job. I was like... why? Why? Because he's been through hell. He has survived long enough, made enough bad calls and learned from them to become seasoned, experienced. In the beginning, his uniform sort of gave him initial credibility, but a lot of his leadership came from his former position as a cop.



Now, he is scruffy, bearded, no more uniform, but he has the eyes of a commander. He makes decisions b/c they rely on him to make them. He no longer has to make them to keep them together. It took him about 30 seconds to load up the pigs and sacrifice them to prevent the fence from being knocked over. Plus, he did it himself, and didn't bat an eye.


Also, he kept making mistakes until the old man with the beard started mentoring him. After Herschel started giving him advice, Rick's learning curve went way up. We learn from ourselves, but we also learn from that big brother or that mentor. A person like that makes an enormous difference.






 I am still in wolverine "ronin" mode... but when I find Katsumoto, trust me. I'll shut up and listen.

Katsumoto Speaks



No comments:

Post a Comment