Saturday, October 26, 2013

Today

Well, don't you love the Army. Stand-by fell through again. So I'm here another night.
I went to the Battalion BBQ and had a really nice time. People treated me really well, and one of the team's was down a soccer player, so I volunteered to help the losing team. I made a big difference, and as luck would have it, the VIP entourage of the two Brigade Commanders stopped to watch the game right when I made a good play. Getting off my meds was the best thing I ever did b/c my fitness level is coming roaring back. I was the only officer out there, and playing in the heat with all the Soldiers. A good first impression. I introduced myself to the Colonel after the game, and he warned me my new job was very chaotic and strategic... I told him that was up my alley. In fact, in a weird way, even though I figure I am now a figure of disdain to my family, my confidence as an officer has gone through the roof. Usually I would have been nervous, but I spoke confidently and casually to the boss. He grabbed my arm and said he looked forward to sitting down with me in a couple weeks. I guess there's a chance of staying 2 years not just 1. I've pretty much lost everything, and with the current trends that will surely affect my kids over time, I'm going to think about it really hard. It's tempting. Who knows, imagine scoring some insane civilian job in the richest country on earth. I did put my intent out to be a millionaire by age 45. We will see. Anyway, it was great playing soccer and not feeling I was dying like last time in AIT. If feels good at 35 to have the 22 years old say, damn, he's good. lol Then when they did tug of war, the the HQ platoon was mainly female, and they needed one more person. I was standing there and they were like, come help us, when need someone strong... lol that was flattering too, even though we lost (it was like 90% girls... lol... so yeah, probably would happen). Still, I had expected to be the wallflower since I am supposed to leave tomorrow and I figured I would endure 4 hours of torture... but actually, had a lot of fun.

My goal in the next ten years is to dominate the natural plane. I will become successful. In fact, weirdly enough, gutting fish on the copier is critical. Today, the BC glared over at me for a second as he was speaking to the other Colonel, but I just grabbed my balls and started talking to the Brigade Commander on my own. Afterwards he came over and spoke for awhile, and I got the feeling I had earned his respect and that a positive report about me will go forward to my new boss. So many came and shook my hand saying they regretted I was leaving. Fort Lee was not a natural experience. I forgot so many people in the big army are lazy. Most of these guys are reservists too. I am the new guy, but since I have been working out like a dog the last 4 weeks and my muscles are popping, I was standing with the other company commanders and they were all fat with their shirts tucked in and high and tights... lol my hair is long now, I haven't been able to get a hair cut, but I gave myself one and actually it looks like lucius verinus hair lol... I saw myself suddnely and I was like OMG, I am the coolest one here- I looked like an SF guy or something in my tactical shirt and minimus running shoes with long hair and cool shades. lol And not even trying... plus, I have had a ton of LTs and NCOs run up to me and shake my hand, SIR, GREAT TO SEE YOU!!! I was in your SWFTX. I just wanted to say you really helped me yatta yatta... etc. In fact, the Bn CDR and other people were like, WTH... who is this guy.  I mean, two of the BC's staff were my BOLC LT's and I guess they were raving about me b/c I was legendary at SWFTX... lol they were there during the natural disaster when I rallied everyone in one of my finer moments and went almost 72 hours without sleep. It paid off now when I least expected it. I literally had three LTs writing down my email b/c they want to be AIT Commanders partly b/c of my influence. I nearly fell over and just started laughing hysterically. The fucking universe is SO WEIRD!! In fact, I'm still getting used to the regular Army where there are a lot of officers, so I am standing there and someone puts me on the spot by confirming I had AIT command. I was nonchalant, yeah... 18 months. Then they all were like, tell us the good shit. You must have some crazy ass stories. I forgot, after being kept in constant stress about what you can say and what you can't, that out here, all that stuff is funny. So, I started telling some stories and they were rolling, collectively LMAO... Seriously. B/c of damn AIT that I hated so much. So once again, the hell of my last job is like a weird red carpet that is paving a path in front of me. I am not even trying for this shit. It is being shot at me from all directions so I am just catching the gold coins and keep saying thank you.

The only moment I got low was when I opened my door and got inside my room. In the past, calling home was something I looked forward to all day. Now, calling on the phone is like pulling the pin from a grenade. The kids still care about me, but it is only a matter of time before collective pressure will slowly influence their opinion of me. I will always be there for them, but I honestly have to start over, and I have started doing that here. It hurt eliminating half of my friends and family from Jen's side; some were no loss, but I will miss the ones like Matt Birch. However, today showed me that I can start over, and that's what I'm going to do. It still hurts though. Even with all the good stuff going on. Still hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment