Monday, October 7, 2013

Shenandoah

A warrant officer mentioned to me today that before he came to deploy, he took his son camping in Shenandoah.  We visited there a month ago. I'll never forget making a "wrong" turn and seeing the most beautiful country in the evening.

Bring me down to Shenandoah
From solitude of days
A long path of winding ways
Shake the dust from my vagabond feet
Tousled hair of a weary Soldier.
The evening over a wide ocean
Touching the stars with my tired eyes
A quiet exit and a shouldered backpack
Bring me through green hills
Between the winding valleys
In early morning when the sun is rising
Under the mountain's shadow, hide me
Let a cool breeze touch my face
Beneath the shadows of tall trees
Down a gravel country road
Herd of horses on the hillside
Bring me to a rustic cabin
Down to peace and simple kindness
Bring me down to Shenandoah.

No comments:

Post a Comment