Monday, December 21, 2015

Milestones and Theme Songs

I have this interesting tendency to  develop a thematic narrative to my life. There are things that resonate during certain times in my journey, and they become emblematic... signifiers of meaning. These signs emerge from my subconscious... Often in images, poems, dreams.

They weave into my daily life, often subtlely manifesting until I become conscious of them. While usually one dominates, often there are several layers of them.

For years, it was a cosmonaut. Not an astronaut, cosmonaut. I was fully engaged in life, but there was both a barrier and a void between me and the world. The cosmonaut will always be there I think, because part of my Aquarius nature will always be an artistic observer. But nowadays, the Helmet and gloves hang in the back room on a nail. I know where to find them, but I only need them for occasional spacewalks. (:

In Qatar, it was doves, and sub theme of foxes. I think part of my thematic narrative is tied to place and people. Doves lived outside my window, and woke me from the ledge every morning.
Same with the foxes, although they were at night during walks. All these apparently random occurrences coalesce into meaning over time. I may have assigned it, but the meaning emerges and shapes my life.

When I left Qatar, I transitioned to leaves.

For a year, it's been leaves. Dead leaves, dry leaves, Autumn leaves. It was a time of dearth and death. A wasteland. Dead Leaves were appropriate.

Umbrellas started to emerge in the fall, but like a recalcitrant child scolded by his mother for opening it in the house, they have receded into the netherworld of my subconscious.

I thought of searching, but I decided to wait, listen, and live.

My theme will find me... 







No comments:

Post a Comment